Savor the flavor of the Mediterranean with this California Avocado “Feta” Greek Mezze Salad by California Avocados.
Filled with seasonal produce like fresh tomatoes, cucumber, and locally grown heart-healthy California Avocados, it’s a plant-forward salad that you can feel good about feeding to your loved ones. Whether you serve it as a side salad or make it a meal, it’s a wonderful addition to your spring and summer menus!
- 2 tbsp. white miso
- 4 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 firm ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled, and cubed
- 6 cups chopped and shredded kale
- 1 small cucumber, skinned and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cooked artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/4 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup whole-grain pita chips, broken into pieces
To Use Brine as Dressing:
- Remaining brine
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- To make brine: To a small bowl, add the miso, water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, oregano, and black pepper. Whisk until uniformly combined. Add the avocado cubes into the miso marinade and gently toss with a spoon.
- Transfer to a container with an airtight lid and let set in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours, but up to 24 hours. Note, if left longer than 24 hours the avocado will begin to lose its texture.
- When ready to assemble salad, remove California Avocado “feta” from brine.
- Assemble salad by placing the shredded kale at the bottom of a large bowl, then add the California Avocado “feta” in the center. Top the remaining kale in sections with sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, onions and pita chips. Serve with dressing on the side. Or if you prefer, gently toss all the salad ingredients with dressing and serve immediately.
- If using the brine as a dressing, whisk together ingredients and use one-third for light dressing, more if you prefer more dressing. Store remaining brine in the refrigerator for use on other salads or vegetables.
Variations: For an on-the-go meal, omit the pita chips and instead place California Avocado “feta”, vegetables, and protein into a whole-grain pita pocket and enjoy as a handheld meal.
Serving Suggestion: To make this a main dish salad, add canned and drained garbanzo beans or your favorite protein source such as grilled poultry, fish or meat, or canned tuna.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.