These meatless tacos by California Walnuts are sure to please even the most stubborn carnivores.
We love how flavorful and filling they are, plus they’re super easy to customize with what you have on hand.
You can expect a touch of smoky flavor courtesy of the fire-roasted corn and chipotle adobo sauce. That boldness in flavor is contrasted with creamy cotija cheese and sour cream, and brightness from fresh lime and cilantro, and the “meat” is made with a hearty nutritious combination of walnuts and chopped mushrooms.
To serve corn tortillas add some jalapeño (if you can handle the heat!) and extra cilantro. Or, for a twist on the recipe, serve the taco filling over a rice base instead of in tortillas.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chipotle adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
California Walnut Taco “Meat”
- 1 1/2 cups raw shelled walnuts
- 2 cups roughly chopped white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
- 12 small flour or corn tortillas
- 1 cup drained fire-roasted corn
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Stir together chipotle adobo sauce and sour cream in a small bowl. Refrigerate until serving.
- Combine walnuts, mushrooms, cumin, chili powder, garlic, soy sauce and lime juice in a food processor. Pulse to break up walnuts and mushrooms into small crumbles.
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a skillet. Add walnut mixture and cook, stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes, until mushrooms are tender.
- Spoon walnut taco meat over tortillas topped with roasted corn, cotija, chipotle sauce, cilantro, and lime wedges